The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International was founded May 11, 1929, at the Faculty Women’s Club at the University of Texas, Austin, Texas. Alpha Chapter of Alpha State Organization placed a plaque where the Women's Club once stood on campus. Dr. Annie Webb Blanton, member of the faculty of the University of Texas and a former state superintendent of public instruction in Texas, conceived the idea of an organization for women educators. Eleven women educators from Texas, representing various professional positions in education, were initiated by Dr. Blanton. Alpha Chapter was installed on June 3, 1929.